Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
Races Nearing Capacity
If an upcoming race is nearing capacity and you want to do it, make sure to register! It’s almost impossible to get in once the race fills up. The following races are nearing capacity:
- The Shape Women’s Half is now nearing capacity: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- So is the Japan Run 4M: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- And the Queens 10k: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- And the Global Running Day 5k: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- If you would like to meet the Westchester group on March 7 for a run at Rockefeller State Park, with transportation provided by Volvo, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- The second Astoria track workout is next week. Attendance was great this week! https://www.meetup.com/
- The post NYC Half party information is here: https://www.meetup.com/
- DWRT Track Meet registration is open. See here: http://trackmeet.
- The Thursday Central Park hosts would love some help organizing. If you want to be a co-host, let me know!
Thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any non-NYRR results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag and have the result in our database, make sure to fill out the results form here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Congratulations to Jessica Chichester and Grace Bowen, who represented the Dashing Whippets at the Olympic Trials Marathon in Atlanta last Saturday! Jessica finished in 2:45:49 and Grace in 2:50:59.
- Ellyn Atkinson WON the Publix Atlanta 5k the following day, finishing in a time of 17:52.
- Brian Reis (2:41:50) placed 3rd in his AG at the Atlanta Marathon.
- Sam Geha WON the 2020 NYRR Washington Heights Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks 5K, finishing in a blazing time of 14:48, a new team record! He led the Men’s Open Team to 4th place and was followed by Spencer Zidarich (15:45-7th AG); Karlo Mendoza (15:55 – 5th AG); Keaton Naff (16:18) and Kerome Bramwell (16:29).
- Laura Gann placed 3rd OA for the women, finishing in a time of 17:42 and leading the women to 2nd place. Michelle Vaccaro (17:54) placed 6th OA. Genevieve Coffey (18:02) and Jennifer Salvatore (18:25) placed 4th and 6th in their AG.
- Kathleen Servidea finished in 18:31, placing 1st in her AG and leading the Women’s Master Team to 18:31. She was followed by Barbara Man (19:22-4th AG) and Satomi Sugishita (22:59-5th AG).
- Darragh Halpenny (16:36) placed 1st in his AG and led the Men’s Master Team to 1st place. He was followed by Frederick Hines (17:10-5th AG) and Jordan Wolff (17:44-10th AG).
- Caile Martinez (18:43) and Megan Keane (18:45) placed 9th and 10th in their AG. Jonathan Meythaler Falcones (18:09) placed 10th in his AG.
- Eliam Brody, our youngest Whippet (9!), crossed the finish line with her dad Ab in a time of 25:45.
- Cassandra Connolly was the first woman OA at the Marathon of the Treasure Coast, finishing in 3:26:47.
2020 Points Races
b. UAE Healthy Kidney 10K (full): March 28 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
c. Run as One 4M (full): April 26 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
d. Brooklyn Half (full): May 16 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
e. Queens 10K: June 21 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
f. Team Champs: August 1 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
g. 5th Avenue Mile: September 13
h. Bronx 10M: September 20 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
i. S.I. Half: October 11 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
j. NYC Marathon (full) (https://www.nyrr.org/
k. Ted Corbitt 15K: December 13
All of our apparel is now at one spot at our sponsor, Finish Line Physical Therapy at 119 West 23rd Street, 3rd Floor.
To order gear:
- Pom pom hats: https://www.meetup.com/
- Arm sleeves: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Nike Singlets: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Balance Singlets (only women’s sizes left!): http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Short Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Long Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Winter short distance plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/12/DWRT_ TrainingPlan_Winter2020_ ShortDistance.pdf
- NYC Half Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- Boston Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- NJ Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2020/02/DWRT_ TrainingPlan_NJMarathon2020_ v2.pdf
- Brooklyn Half Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
The coaches are now providing an individualized coaching option. Please see information here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
Have an ache or pain? Ask our new strength and mobility coach, Emmi Aguilldard, about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
Picky Bars Discount: https://www.meetup.com/
SkratchLabs Discount: https://www.meetup.com/
Free Spin Class at Swerve: https://www.meetup.com/
DWRT’s 2020 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
- Sports acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
- Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
- Physical Therapy: Sloane Stecker Physical Therapy http://sloanestecker.com/
- Sports Podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
- Therapeutic Sports Massage, Sarah Sanborn LMT: https://www.sarahsanborn.com/
- Real Estate: RoomUnity is a tech-enabled real estate company serving buyers, sellers, renters, working alongside investors. www.roomunity.com
- Automobile: Volvo Car USA. https://www.volvocars.com/
Thank you also to our friends at Amity Hall and Running Warehouse!
Our friends at Ragnar are providing $100 off DWRT team registrations to 2020 overnight Ragnar Relays. See “deals and discounts” on Meetup, here:
Follow us on:
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/
- Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/
- DWRT Strava Group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/
dashing-whippets – please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’ve tried to join the Strava group and haven’t been approved yet!