Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
Brooklyn Half Registration:
If you were unable to register for the Brooklyn Half due to the registration problem this week, see NYRR’s message here: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
Races Nearing Capacity
If an upcoming race is nearing capacity and you want to do it, make sure to register! It’s almost impossible to get in once the race fills up. The following races are nearing capacity:
- The third points race of the year, the Run as One 4M is nearing capacity: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
Board Member Nominations
Please nominate DWRT members for consideration to be on the board in 2020. We expect to have 4 vacancies on the board and will fill those along with the 7 people who are remaining on the board for another year. The 11 person board will be voted on as a slate at the annual membership meeting during the first quarter of 2020.
Being on the DWRT board does not bring an expectation of raising funds or donating a certain amount like some other nonprofit boards. Instead, in addition to being a governing board, the board is a “working board” as well. This means that board members are expected to contribute time to do the administrative work of the team, including being responsible for helping with team finances, legal work, organizing committees for social events and social media, etc.
The board meets once a month (typically the third Wednesday of the month at 8:30 pm) for at least an hour via Google Hangout and expectations are to attend each of those meetings. Members contribute several hours of work per month managing various aspects of the team. We expect board members to be visible members of the team by attending events regularly and being supportive of other members.
Nomination form here: https://forms.gle/
Please submit nominations before the end of January! Also, please see information on the board in our bylaws here: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- DWRT Track Meet registration is open. See here: http://trackmeet.
- Entry for the NYC Marathon opens on January 30th: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- The annual winter party is this Saturday. There are only a few tickets left! RSVP and buy tickets here: https://www.meetup.com/
- The coaches are now providing an individualized coaching option. Please see information here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Laura is hosting a nutritional seminar on January 29 at Finish Line. See info here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you are doing the NYC Half, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you are doing the Boston Marathon, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- And the Brooklyn Half here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you are doing the NJ Marathon and want to do it under the team name, the team code is “dwrtnj”.
Thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any non-NYRR results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag and have the result in our database, make sure to fill out the results form here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Karlo Mendoza placed 2nd OA at the 2020 NYRR Fred Lebow Half Marathon, finishing in 1:13:09 and leading the men to first place. Michael Yuan (1:14:58) and Brian Reis (1:16:07) placed 5th and 8th OA. Darragh Halpenny (1:17:53) and Jordan Wolff (1:18:59) placed 2nd and 3rd in their AG.
- Margaret Moor (1:29:47) and Jennifer DiMascio-Donohue (1:30:40) placed 1st and 2nd in their AG, leading the women to 2nd place. They were followed by Lauren Dorsky (1:32:08-3rd); Kim Martineau (1:35:07-3rd AG) and Trara Lyons (1:36:46).
- Joseph Pennacchio (1:28:25) and Karl Kulo (1:42:21) placed 6th and 10th in their AG.
- Sam Geha broke the men’s team record in the 5000 meters last night at the Armory, winning the race in 14:51. Laura Gann broke the women’s record in 17:23! Also running great times were Spencer Zidarich (15:29), Mark Dani (15:56 – new team masters and 50+ record!), Fred Hines (16:11), Danny Masterson (16:49), and Jordan Wolff (17:07). Jennifer Dimascio-Donohue ran 19:18 and Brigette Kolson ran 19:48.
2020 Points Races
a. Washington Heights 5K (full): March 1 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
b. UAE Healthy Kidney 10K (full): March 28 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
c. Run as One 4M (nearing capacity): April 26 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
d. Brooklyn Half (full): May 16 (https://www.nyrr.org/races/
e. Queens 10K: June 21
f. Team Champs: August 1
g. 5th Avenue Mile: September 13
h. Bronx 10M: September 27
i. S.I. Half: October 11
j. NYC Marathon: November 1
k. Ted Corbitt 15K: December 13
All of our apparel is now at one spot at our sponsor, Finish Line Physical Therapy at 119 West 23rd Street, 3rd Floor.
To order gear:
- Pom pom hats: https://www.meetup.com/
- Arm sleeves: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Nike Singlets: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Balance Singlets (only women’s sizes left!): http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Short Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Long Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Winter short distance plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/12/DWRT_ TrainingPlan_Winter2020_ ShortDistance.pdf
- NYC Half Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- Boston Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
If you would like to use the team’s plans via the VDOT program (it’s a really cool app that makes training much easier), RSVP here:
- Winter/ Spring Short Distance: https://www.meetup.com/
- Boston Advanced: https://www.meetup.com/
- NYC Half Advanced: https://www.meetup.com/
- NYC Half Intermediate: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Jersey Advanced: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Jersey Intermediate: https://www.meetup.com/
The coaches are now providing an individualized coaching option. Please see information here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
Have an ache or pain? Ask our new strength and mobility coach, Emmi Aguilldard, about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
Picky Bars Discount: https://www.meetup.com/
SkratchLabs Discount: https://www.meetup.com/
Free Spin Class at Swerve: https://www.meetup.com/
DWRT’s 2020 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
- Sports acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
- Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
- Physical Therapy: Sloane Stecker Physical Therapy http://sloanestecker.com/
- Sports Podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
- Therapeutic Sports Massage, Sarah Sanborn LMT: https://www.sarahsanborn.com/
- Real Estate: RoomUnity is a tech-enabled real estate company serving buyers, sellers, renters, working alongside investors. www.roomunity.com
- Automobile: Volvo Car USA. https://www.volvocars.com/
Thank you also to our friends at Amity Hall and Running Warehouse!
Our friends at Ragnar are providing $100 off DWRT team registrations to 2020 overnight Ragnar Relays. See “deals and discounts” on Meetup, here:
Follow us on:
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/
- Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/
- DWRT Strava Group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/
dashing-whippets – please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’ve tried to join the Strava group and haven’t been approved yet!