Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
Good luck to everyone doing the SI Half, Chicago Marathon, and other races this weekend!
Races Nearing Capacity
If an upcoming race is nearing capacity and you want to do it, make sure to register! It’s almost impossible to get in once the race fills up.
- None are nearing capacity at the moment, but many of the NYRR races in the first quarter of 2020 are now open!
- The drawing application for the 2020 NYC Half opens on 10/17. Info here: https://www.nyrr.org/
- Laura Gann is hosting a nutrition seminar later this month. Check out the details here: https://www.meetup.com/
- Laura is also taking over the team IG account in Chicago this weekend, so make sure to follow the team @dashingwhippets.
- Here is the Meetup for the SI Half: https://www.meetup.com/
- For the post SI Half party, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you’re in Chicago for the marathon this weekend, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- There’s a pre-race dinner in Chicago: https://www.meetup.com/
- And a post-race brunch: https://www.meetup.com/
- The route for the long run in Brooklyn next week, October 19, will be the first 20 miles of the marathon. Info here: https://www.meetup.com/
- There’s a NYC Marathon expo trip and dinner. Info here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you want to volunteer with the team at the NYC Marathon, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you are running the marathon, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- Cheer station info is here: https://www.meetup.com/
- Info on the post NYC Marathon party is here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you are doing the Fred Lebow Cross Country Championships, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- And the Philly Marathon: https://www.meetup.com/
- Ted Corbitt: https://www.meetup.com/
- Cal International Marathon: https://www.meetup.com/
Thanks to our results team for compiling all the data in our database! Brian Donaghy has put together race links on our site where we can display top ten AG and PR performances. We will continue to build this out and improve on this going forward, but to keep our database full of all our team races results, make sure to fill out the link above for non-NYRR races!
- Grete’s 10k: http://ec2-54-86-166-9.
compute-1.amazonaws.com/dwrt_ results/race_summaries/1458- alpha.html
- Harry Murphy XC: http://ec2-54-86-166-9.
compute-1.amazonaws.com/dwrt_ results/race_summaries/1459- alpha.html
And thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any non-NYRR results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag and have the result in our database, make sure to fill out the results form here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Michelle Vaccaro placed 3rd OA at the 2019 NYRR Grete’s Great Gallop (10K), finishing in 37:07 and leading the women to 1st place. Laren Dorsky and Jennifer DiMascio-Donohue placed 3rd and 5th in their AG, finishing in 39:47 and 41:30. Lacey Greenwalt (42:44) and Satomi Sugishita (43:55) placed 5th and 1st in their AG.
- The men took 4th place thanks to Stephen Steel (36:11-6th AG); Michael Cosentino (36:39-4th AG); Nick Grinlinton (36:50-5th AG); Stephen Cox (37:38-7th AG) and Albert Kao (37:50-9th AG).
- Johanna Amutenya (47:43) and Eris Saari (50:34) placed 5th and 6th in their AG. Jonathan Gilmorne (39:44) placed 5th in his AG.
- The team took 2nd place at the 2019 NYRR Harry Murphy Cross Country 5K thanks to Afshin Rostami (19:50-4th AG); Anne-Laure White (20:19-3rd woman OA); Q Dunn (20:45-3rd AG); Katherine Edwards (20:55-4th woman OA); Luca Grisa (20:59-6th AG); Jennifer DiMascio-Donohue (21:16-8th woman OA) and Shantel Williams (26:02-2nd AG).
- Khia Kurtenbach ran 2:48:09 at the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee to finish as the fourth woman.
- Megan Lavins had a 14 minute PR, running 3:00:54 to place 3rd overall!
- Jordan Rose placed 6th in his AG at the Twin Cities Marathon 2019, finishing in 2:38:10.
- Russell Turley ran 2 minute-PR at the Brooklyn Greenway Half Marathon, finishing in 1:23:13 and placing 7th OA.
- Cara Rabin was the 2nd woman OA at the Hampton’s Marathon 2019, where she finished in 3:23:42. Kyle Rifkind placed 6th OA in the half, finishing in 1:22:55.
2019 Points Races
NYRR Staten Island Half (full): https://www.nyrr.org/races-
TCS New York City Marathon (full): https://www.tcsnycmarathon.
NYRR Ted Corbitt 15K (full): https://www.nyrr.org/races/
All of our apparel is now at one spot at our sponsor, Finish Line Physical Therapy at 119 West 23rd Street, 3rd Floor.
To order gear:
- New Nike Singlets: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Balance Singlets (only women’s sizes left!): http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Short Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Long Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Jackets: https://www.meetup.com/
- Staten Island Half Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- Ted Corbitt/XC Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.
com/wp-content/uploads/2019/ 10/DWRT_2019Fall_ ShortDistance_XC-1.pdf
- NYCM Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_NYC_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
- Chicago Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_Chicago_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
- Philadelphia Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_Philly_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
Have an ache or pain? Ask our new strength and mobility coach, Emmi Aguilldard, about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
BOA Shorts Discount Code
If you want some cool running apparel, check out the 20% off code at this great shorts/running clothes maker: https://www.meetup.com/
Rabbit Apparel Discount Code
We have a new team discount code for Rabbit Apparel, which has some really nice looking shirts, singlets, and other running apparel. Here’s the site:https://www.runinrabbit.
We now have four chapters of the team! If you have friends in Boston, Westchester, or NJ, please send them the following links:
- Boston: https://www.meetup.com/
- NJ: https://www.meetup.com/
- Westchester: https://www.meetup.com/
DWRT’s 2019 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
- Sports acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
- Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
- Physical Therapy: Sloane Stecker Physical Therapy http://sloanestecker.com/
- Sports Podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
- Therapeutic Sports Massage, Sarah Sanborn LMT: https://www.sarahsanborn.com/
- Banking: First Republic Bank https://www.firstrepublic.com
- Real Estate: RoomUnity is a tech-enabled real estate company serving buyers, sellers, renters, working alongside investors. www.roomunity.com
Thank you also to our friends at DermalMedix, Amity Hall, and Running Warehouse!
Follow us on: