Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
This weekend’s run in memory of Jessy Scarpone.
As many of you have heard, Jessy passed away this week. She has been on the team since 2016 and was the team MVP in 2017. She had moved away in 2018 for graduate school, but was back in New York City this summer for an internship.
Both of our Saturday runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn will be in her honor. The starting location of the Manhattan run has changed (see here for details: https://www.meetup.com/
As requested by Jessy’s family, donations can be made in Jessy’s honor to the American Heart Association: https://www2.heart.org/site/
Races Nearing Capacity
If an upcoming race is nearing capacity and you want to do it, make sure to register! It’s almost impossible to get in once the race fills up.
- Staten Island Half Marathon: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- Grete’s Gallop 10k: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
- Thanks to Laura Gann, who is going to moderate a nutrition seminar with Claire Shorenstein, MS, RD, CDN on August 14. Information here: https://www.meetup.com/
- David and Chris are organizing a post workout bbq on August 8 at East River Park. Info here:https://www.meetup.com/
- And if you would like to help organize, please RSVP here to volunteer:https://www.meetup.com/
- Our regular Nike singlets have been replenished, so we now have men’s mediums!
Results – thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any non-NYRR results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag and have the result in our database, make sure to fill out the results form here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Ingrid Wells (29:04) led the Open Women’s Team to 3rd place at the 2019 NYRR Team Championships 5M, placing 6thin her AG. Khia Kurtenbach (29:28) and Ellyn Atkinson (29:43) placed 3rd and 4th in their AG. Jessica Chichester (29:48) and Emmi Aguillard (30:06) both placed 10th in their AG, while Samantha Creath placed 9th, finishing in 30:06. They were followed by Laura Gann (30:11); Megan Keane (30:17); Genevieve Coffey (31:19) and Kathleen Servidea (31:37-3rd AG).
- Cameron Coneys (26:00) and Jeremy Arthur (26:06) were the first two finishers for the Open Men’s Team, which got 5thplace. Sam Geha (26:11); Mark Dani (26:32) and Karlo Mendoza (27:02) placed 4th, 1st and 8th in their AG. They were followed by David Lamb (26:33); James Stucker (27:05); Emmett Gross (27:05); MacLean O’Donnell (27:17) and Spencer Zidarich (27:33).
- Kathleen Servidea (31:37) scored for both the Open Women’s Team and the Women’s Masters team, which placed 1st. Julie McElroy (32:19) and Barbara Mann (33:28) placed 1st and 5th in their AG. They were followed by Satomi Sugishita (36:18-6th AG) and Carol Stickler (37:27).
- Mark Dani (26:32-1st AG) placed 4th in the Open Men’s Team and 1st in the Men’s Masters Team, which took 2nd place. Jordan Wolff (28:51) and Matthew Wong (29:17) placed 6th and 8th in their AG. Billy Barone (29:44) and Scott Batten (30:44) placed 3rd and 8th in their AG.
- Noel Slater and Christopher Pareja placed 9th and 4th in their AG, finishing in 33:00 and 35:16.
2019 Points Races
- New Balance Bronx 10 Mile (full): https://www.nyrr.org/races-
- NYRR Staten Island Half (nearing capacity): https://www.nyrr.org/races-
- TCS New York City Marathon (full): https://www.tcsnycmarathon.
- NYRR Ted Corbitt 15K: https://www.nyrr.org/races/
All of our apparel is now at one spot at our sponsor, Finish Line Physical Therapy at 119 West 23rd Street, 3rd Floor.
To order gear:
- New Nike Singlets: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Balance Singlets (only women’s sizes left!): http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Short Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Long Sleeved Shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Running caps: https://www.meetup.com/
- Jackets: https://www.meetup.com/
- Spring/Summer short distance plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- NYCM Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_NYC_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
- Berlin Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_Berlin_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
- Chicago Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_Chicago_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
- Philadelphia Marathon Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
content/uploads/2019/06/DWRT_ 2019_Philly_Advanced_ Intermediate.pdf
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
Have an ache or pain? Ask our new strength and mobility coach, Emmi Aguilldard, about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
We now have four chapters of the team! If you have friends in Boston, Westcheester, or NJ, please send them the following links:
- Boston: https://www.meetup.com/
- NJ: https://www.meetup.com/
- Westchester: https://www.meetup.com/
DWRT’s 2019 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
- Sports acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
- Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
- Physical Therapy: Sloane Stecker Physical Therapy http://sloanestecker.com/
- Sports Podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
- Orthopedic Sports Massage, Sarah Sanborn LMT: https://www.sarahsanborn.com/
- Banking: First Republic Bank https://www.firstrepublic.com
Thank you also to our friends at DermalMedix, Amity Hall, and Running Warehouse!
Follow us on: