This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Thanks to everyone who came out to take part in our track meet this past weekend. It was a great time!
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 3 of a training plan for summer races and base-building for fall marathon training.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 6/01: Easy day
- Everyone should run 30-40 minutes easy, or rest
- Monday Morning Mileage (Central Park) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Tuesday 6/02: Long speedwork day:
- ALL runners: Warm up 1-1.5 easy miles, then do controlled uphill sprints: 3-4 sprints of 50 meters. Walk back. Stay relaxed, coordinated and in control while displaying good running form. Then…
- Runners with a solid base (have done multiple speedwork sessions in the recent past): 2 miles at half marathon pace, then do 3 minutes of easy jogging to recover. Then do 4-6 repeats of 400m uphill at 10K pace; jog back downhill to recover. Finish with 1-1.5 miles of easy jogging to cool down.
- Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 2 miles at half marathon pace, then 2 miles at easy pace.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Wednesday 6/03: Recovery day
- Most runners should do 20-35 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- If you are preparing for a fall marathon, aim for 40+ minutes of easy exercise today
- Morning group run, Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Thursday, 6/04: Short speedwork day: 15-minute warmup, including jogging/drills/strides, then…
- Runners who are RACING this weekend: 800m, 600m and 400m, all at goal 4-mile race pace. Jog 200m between each segment, and finish with 15 minutes of easy jogging to cool down.
- Runners who are NOT racing this weekend: 3-6 repeats of 800m at 5K pace, with a 400m jog after each. If you have a strong base of speedwork, aim for 5-6 repeats. If you are building a base, stop after 3-4 repeats. Finish with a 15-minute cooldown.
- Morning Manhattan group workout in Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Manhattan group workout in East River Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Friday 6/05: Very easy day
- Everyone should rest, or do the Monday or Wednesday workout today if you missed it
Saturday and Sunday, 6/06-07:
- If you are racing this weekend: Do a short easy run on Saturday, and best of luck on Sunday!
- If you are not racing this weekend: 30-40 minutes easy on one day; on the other day, do 70-90 minutes at long run pace (45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace).
- There are weekly team long runs around the city. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Training plan for short summer races and a base-building period for fall marathoners (6 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/