Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
- If you are doing the Brooklyn Half, we are doing a strategy session on May 9. Check out info here: https://www.meetup.com/
- Good luck to everyone doing the NJ Marathon this weekend. RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you want to cheer for the Healthy Kidney 10k, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- And the post points brunch info is here: https://www.meetup.com/
- Check out an article about Jessica here: https://www.buzzfeed.com/
juliareinstein/boston- marathon-women-prize-money? utm_term=.qgl3z0M9x#.csOYwzbMP
- And a few articles by Elizabeth Laseter – How to make the ultimate healthy breakfast smoothie: http://www.cookinglight.com/
recipes/healthy-breakfast- smoothie and These are the Healthiest Meal Choices at 35 Popular Chain Restaurants: http://www.cookinglight.com/ healthy-living/weight-loss/ healthy-restaurant-choices
Results – thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag, make sure to fill out the results form below.
Make sure to help us fill out our results database by entering your non-NYRR results here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- The Boston Martahon 2018 was an epic event for our team! Congrats to all those who powered through gusty winds and pouring rain! Jessica Chichester set a new team record for the women, crossing the finish line as the 5th woman OA in 2:45:23! Thanks to her, Brigette Kolson (3:00:41) and Meghan Bongartz (3:02:10), our women placed second in the Women’s Open Team.
- Despite the horrible weather conditions, we had quite a few PRs: Garrett Burger ran an incredible time of 2:39:58 and Steve Wo set a new PR of 2:54:39. On the women side, Emmi Aguillard and Lindsay Albala set new PRs of 3:09:49 and 3:16:33.
- Our team took second place at the 2018 SHAPE Women’s Half-Marathon! Samantha Creath placed 8th OA, finishing in 1:26:46. She was followed by Jennifer Marchuk 1:34:24); Jill Czarnik (1:35:08); Patricia Tirona (1:40:40-5th AG) and Barbara Mann (1:44:21).
- Our women placed second at the 2018 Run as One (4M). Anoush Shehadeh and Grace Bowen placed 6th and 7th OA for the women, finishing in 23:39 and 23:46. They were followed by Barbara Mann (25:13-1st AG); Laureline Logiaco (26:54) and Elena Varas Saiz (27:41-6th AG). Congrats to Daniela Alvarado on her new PR of 28:24 and to Cassie Wangsness (28:43) for placing 9thin her AG!
- The men placed fourth thanks to Stephen Bione (22:31-9th AG); Peter Sesek (23:28); Timothy Pedrotty (24:09); Yoonseok Lee (24:27) and Young Cho (24:40). Stephan Brohme (24:54) placed 5th in his AG.
- Mark Hess won the Prospect Park 10k, setting a new team record of 31:47! Zach Custer took second place, closing in 33:48. Katherine Edwards (19:24) represented us in the 5K, placing 1st in her AG and 4th OA for the women.
- Yoonseok Lee won the Foundation for Letters Brooklyn 5K, finishing in 20:44.
- Megan Jones was the 2nd American woman OA at the EA7 Milano Marathon 2018, finishing in 3:48:20.
- Keith Slyman represented us at the Ocean Drive Marathon, finishing in 3:35:55.
- Richard Nacin beat his qualifying time for Boston by over 21 minutes, finishing the 2018 Spring Chance BQ.2 in 3:03:54!
2018 Points Races
- UAE Healthy Kidney 10K (4/29/2018) (full): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Brooklyn Half (5/19/2018) (full): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Queens 10K (6/16/2018) (full): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Team Champs (7/28/2018): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Percy Sutton 5K (8/25/2018): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- NYRR 5th Avenue Mile (9/9/2018)
- Bronx 10M (9/30/2018): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Staten Island Half (10/14/2018): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- TCS NYC Marathon (11/4/2018) (register by 2/15!): https://www.tcsnycmarathon.
org/plan-your-race/run-in- 2018?_ga=2.260980173. 1756861461.1516468491- 1713173526.1506293621
- Ted Corbitt 15K (12/8/2018)
All of our apparel is now at one spot at our sponsor, Finish Line Physical Therapy at 119 West 23rd Street, 3rd Floor.
To order gear:
- Singlets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- New tech T-shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Retro short sleeved t-shirt: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Long Sleeved Shirts: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Sugoi track jackets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Wool hats: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Running caps: https://www.meetup.com/
- New Jackets: https://www.meetup.com/
- Short distance plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- Brooklyn Half Plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
Race for Edie 5k
- The Dashing Whippets are pleased to be a Sponsor of the Race for Edie 5K, to be held May 20, 2018 in Prospect Park. A gifted runner and cyclist, Edie Perkins ran for the Dashing Whippets before moving to California in 2016. In April 2017, while cycling near L.A, Edie was struck by an SUV turning into her path. She sustained extensive injuries, and is paralyzed from the chest down. Edie’s friends have organized this 5K to assist with the costs of her care. To register: https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
Have an ache or pain? Ask a physical therapy professional about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
Spring 2-Massage Special / Body Balance Sports Massage
Our sports massage Wellness Partner, Body Balance Sports Massage, has a new 2-massage promotion for DWRT for the spring. Why not have one prior to your spring A-race, and one after? Also, makes a perfect gift for a spring marathoner!
The deal: (a) $90 for 2 x 30 minute massages; or (b) $170 for 2 x 60 minute massages. (+ tax). (Each must be used by June 1). Details:https://bodybalancenyc.com/
If you are a new member of the Dashing Whippets, please join us on Mondays for the New Member and Easy Run, out of Amity Hall. Our website has a new page with FAQs for new members: http://www.dashingwhippets.
Ragnar Relay Discount Code
If you like Ragnars, then you’ll love $100 off of these two races: Ragnar Pennsylvania June 15-16, 2018 or Trail Ragnar Wawayanda Lake October 5-6, 2018. For the exclusive Dashing Whippets $100 off code, click the Ragnar link on our website, or go to our Deals Page on Meetup. Register at www.ragnarrelay.com
(See info on code here: https://www.meetup.com/
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
BOA Shorts Discount Code
If you want some cool running apparel, check out the 20% off code at this great shorts/running clothes maker: https://www.meetup.com/
Rabbit Apparel Discount Code
We have a new team discount code for Rabbit Apparel, which has some really nice looking shirts, singlets, and other running apparel. Here’s the site:https://www.runinrabbit.
DWRT’s 2017 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
- Sports acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
- Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
- Physical Therapy: Sloane Stecker Physical Therapy http://sloanestecker.com/
- Sports podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
- Sports massage: Body Balance Integrated Massage Therapy www.bodybalancenyc.com
Thank you also to our friends at DermalMedix, Amity Hall, and Running Warehouse!
Follow us on:
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/
- Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/
- Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/