Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
Congratulations to everyone who ran the NYC Marathon! We’ll have more individual results written up next week, but here are a few highlights:
- 237 Whippets finished the race – the most of any non-charity team!
- Our men’s open team was fourth and our women’s open team was second! If you take out professional runners, those two teams were second and first!
- By my count (so unofficially), 69 Whippets ran a Boston Marathon qualifying time!
A ton of Whippets had PRs! A short list of people who ran PRs or great times (all from the comments on Garrett’s Facebook post):
- Andrey Kirichenko ran a course PR
- Perry Anderson ran a 12 minute PR (and broke 3:00!) with a 2:58
- Rachael Keller ran an 8 minute PR in her second marathon to run a 2:47:35 and is just 2:35 away from qualifying for the Olympic Trials! Sammy Creath (14 minute PR) and Francesca DeLucia (4 minute PR and 16 minutes faster than her NYCM of 2 years ago) are each just about 5:00 away after their great times.
- Dennis Ryan ran a 22 minute PR to run a 3:06.
- Nicole Tilzer ran a 3:54.
- Stephen Gnoza ran 3:01 – a 3:00 PR.
- Juliana Ross ran a 3:22 in her first marathon and negative split (hardly anyone does that on this course, especially in their marathon debut!).
- Lindsay Albala ran a 10 minute PR and a 21 minute course-PR.
- David Eng ran his first marathon ever in 3:28.
- Manson Wong ran his first in 4:05.
- Roni Sommer ran a BQ and 1 minute PR with a 3:26.
- Laura Gann ran a BQ with a 3:09 in her first marathon and PR’d in the half marathon along the way.
- Alex Noble ran a 7 minute PR in his second marathon (2:48!).
- Julie Cesbron ran a 3:54 (3 minute PR)
- Jaime Tan ran a 4:07 a few weeks after running a 3:56 in Berlin (last year she ran a 4:40 in the NYCM, so this was a 33 minute improvement).
- Young Cho PR’d from 4 weeks ago with a 3:11.
- Avi Das ran a 4 minute PR with a 3:38.
- Noel Slater ran a 4:03 in his debut marathon.
- Laura Stephen ran 3:34 for a 4 minute PR.
- Fred Hines ran 2:49 for a PR of almost 2 minutes.
- David Goldfarb ran a 6 minute PR with a 2:50:41.
- Grace Berry ran a 6 minute PR with a 3:43.
- Tracey Rohrer ran a 5 minute PR.
- Alejandro Sanchez ran a 3:11 in his second marathon to BQ.
- Hamish Alexander ran his first marathon in 4:25.
- Andrew Skrilow ran a 6 minute PR with a 3:33.
- Anastasia Voevodin ran a 3:04 to PR by 22 minutes!
- Katie O’Leary ran her second marathon in 4:15 – a 13 minute PR.
- Margot Yopes ran a 3:47 to get a 3 minute PR.
- Michelle Lin ran a 8 minute PR with a 3:38.
- Paul Park ran a 16 minute PR with a 3:48!
I know I missed some people, so great job to everyone else who ran such great times. I also hear that the cheering along the course was amazing, so thanks to everyone who was out there yelling!
If you’re looking for a post-race massage, check out the deal from our sponsor – Body Balance below.
- We would love your help raising some funds to continue to improve the team. Check out our Crowdrise here (and thanks so much to everyone who has already donated!): https://www.crowdrise.com/o/
- The last team points race is nearing capacity – Ted Corbitt 15k: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- The USATF NY Association XC meet is this weekend. Sign up by tomorrow night to run for $10. If you join USATF (membership for $30 through 2018), you can help the team win travel reimbursement to USATF Club XC Nationals. Right now, almost no one else is signed up, so this is a great chance to score for the team and place pretty high in a race. Here’s the link: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you’re doing the Philly Marathon, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you’re doing the Race to Deliver, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- If you’re doing the Fred Lebow XC Championships, RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/
- The NYRR 60k is nearing capacity: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Elizabeth Laseter wrote a great article that applies to a lot of us (with help from Emmi Aguillard): http://www.cookinglight.com/
healthy-living/healthy-habits/ how-sitting-causes-exercise- injuries
- We have a new run in Brooklyn – an easy run on Wednesday evenings. Check it out: https://www.meetup.com/
Results – thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag, make sure to fill out the results form below.
Make sure to help us fill out our results database by entering your non-NYRR results here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Our women took first place at the NYRR 2017 Poland Spring Marathon Kickoff (5M). Megan Keane (34:38) placed 4th in her AG. She was followed by Kahela Mahon (38:12); Brianna Mcloughlin (38:27); Alexandra Dunn (38:32) and Eris Saari (39:11-2nd AG).
- The men placed second. Olivier Wijtenburg placed 2nd OA with a time of 26:47. Matthew Feick (31:59), Brian Skorney (32:18) and Richard Nacin (33:05) placed 8th, 10th and 7th in their AG. Rory Coons finished in 33:11.
- John Emy finished the Amsterdam Marathon in 3:24:56.
- At the Fall Foliage Half Marathon, Elizabeth Miller (1:43:28) was the 7th woman OA.
2017 Points Races
- Ted Corbitt (December 9 – nearing capacity): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
Injury Questions for Finish Line Physical Therapy
- Have an ache or pain? Ask a physical therapy professional about it here to receive advice ASAP! http://bit.ly/DWRTinjuryq
Body Balance NYC, the DWRT Sports Massage Wellness Partner / Fall Promotions!
Body Balance NYC, our team Sports LMT Wellness Partner, has several exciting post-marathon promotions: FIrst, you can sign up for 2 x 1-Hour Sessions for $180. Or, take advantage of 2 x 30 minute sessions for $100. For a single session, use code DASH15 for $15 off any session online.
Body Balance NYC packages also make a perfect gift for your favorite runner. Body Balance is at 124 E 40th St #1001. Email at Info@BodyBalanceNYC.com or, sign up here:
If you shop for running gear at http://www.runningwarehouse.
BOA Shorts Discount Code
If you want some cool running apparel, check out the 20% off code at this great shorts/running clothes maker: https://www.meetup.com/
- Team tech shirts are here, only $20, and available at Finish Line PT. Singlets and long sleeved shirts are $20. Jackets are $80 (note: these are available at Custom Performance). To order gear:
- Singlets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- New tech T-shirts: https://www.meetup.com/
- Retro short sleeved t-shirt: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Long Sleeved Shirts: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Sugoi track jackets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Wool hats: https://www.meetup.com/
- Gloves: https://www.meetup.com/
- Running caps: https://www.meetup.com/
- Fall short distance plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
If you are a new member of the Dashing Whippets, please join us on Mondays for the New Member and Easy Run, out of Amity Hall. Our website has a new page with FAQs for new members: http://www.dashingwhippets.
DWRT Charitable Matching Program
If you are running a race for charity in 2017, you are eligible for a matching grant from the Dashing Whippets, of up to $50 per person. Thank you to all of our members for making this possible. See “Charity Partners” for details. http://www.dashingwhippets.
DWRT’s 2017 Wellness Partners and Sponsors
For health and wellness needs, please consider our Wellness Partners. Thank you, Wellness Partners!
Physical therapy, acupuncture: RunnerClinicNYC www.runnerclinic.com
Physical therapy: Custom Performance www.nycustompt.com
Physical therapy: Finish Line Physical Therapy www.finishlinept.com
Orthopaedics: Upper East Orthopaedics PC www.ueortho.com
Sports podiatry: Lori Weisenfeld, DPM www.loriweisenfelddpm.com
Sports massage: Body Balance Integrated Massage Therapy www.bodybalancenyc.com
Sports chiropractic, ART, Graston: SDL Sports & Performance Chiropractic www.drstevendlevine.com
Dentistry: Bauer Dental Arts www.bauerdentalarts.net
Thank you also to our friends at DermalMedix, HomeAdvisor.com, and Brooklyn Roasting Company!
Follow us on:
Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/