This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Schedule change: There are no group workouts on Thursday, November 26. Enjoy your holiday!
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 5 of a training program for a mid-December 15K, and a month-long recovery period for recent fall marathoners.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 11/23: Easy day
- Recent marathoners should rest or limit yourself to at most 20-30 minutes of easy running
- Everyone else should run 30-45 minutes easy, or optionally rest
- Monday Morning Mileage (Central Park) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Monday Evening Easy (East Village) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Tuesday 11/24: Long speedwork day: Warm up 1-1.5 miles. Then…
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base): 45-55 minute progression run: Start at 30 seconds/mile slower than marathon pace. Then speed up 20-30 seconds/mile every 10 minutes, with no rest between pace changes, until you have done a total of 45-55 minutes of running. Then add 1-1.5 miles of easy jogging to cool down.
- Recent marathoners and Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): Do 4 miles at marathon pace, followed by a 1-1.5-mile cooldown jog.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Wednesday 11/25: Recovery day
- Recent marathoners should rest or do a short easy run
- Everyone else should do 25-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- Morning group run, Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- All runners: Do 4-6 miles of easy jogging, OR do 1 mile warmup, then 3-4 miles at half marathon pace, then 1 mile cooldown.
- Our group workouts are cancelled today. Happy Thanksgiving!
Friday 11/27: Very easy day
- Everyone should rest, or do Thursday’s workout today if you took Thursday off
Saturday and Sunday, 11/28-11/29: On one day, do 40-60 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides. On the other day, do a long run…
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base): 1:40-2:00 of running at long run pace
- Runners who are building a base and recent marathoners (past 4 weeks): 1:00-1:30 of running at easy or long run pace
- Long run pace is 45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace — a little faster than easy pace, but still not challenging.
- There are weekly team long runs around the city. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Dashing Whippets Ted Corbitt 15K training plan (7 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/