By Scott Batten
Dashing Whippets coaches are pleased to announce that we have launched two new training plans this month. Each plan is relatively short, under eight weeks, and they allow runners to build your fitness, maintain strength, and even sharpen up for virtual races.
Short Distance Training Plan (May 11 – July 5)
Led by Fred Hines, a coach with deep experience helping athletes achieve results from 400 meters to 15K+, this plan lays a foundation for training to come in the summer. Coaches have injected a wider variety of workouts than in past plans. Although its main focus is 5K-15K runners, it also includes alternatives for those who are preparing for races of 3000m or shorter.
Fall Marathon Base Building Plan (May 18 – June 28)
The thought leader on this project is Jeremy Arthur, a coach who brings a wealth of wisdom on raising the bar even when it is already very high. This initial plan allows fall marathoners to gradually build or maintain their fitness. The coaches’ intent is to help runners safely recharge batteries before more strenuous training begins in July. This plan will be followed by additional programs specific to fall marathons still on the calendar.
Virtual Team Activities, May 17 – 23
As a reminder, NY residents are now required to have protective face-wear if they cannot reliably social distance. We encourage you all to embrace the #runsolo initiative and stay safe. Our team’s virtual activities offer another way to engage with each other and boost all of our spirits. We would love to see you participate in any of the following:
- “Tuesday Q&A with Coaches” Thus far we have witnessed amazing conversations with coaches Emmi Aguillard and Laura Gann, facilitated by longtime member Patricia Tirona. This week’s agenda features coach Megan Jones interviewed by Melissa Wolfe. Details are not yet finalized, but the session is tentatively set for Tuesday evening, May 19. Check the team’s Instagram feed or Meetup Calendar for more details.
- Michael Alcamo has arranged multiple Zwift workouts per week in the morning. Get more details from this Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dashingwhippets/permalink/10158288873288197/
- Our Olympic Torch relay carries on, carried by Whippets across the country. To get involved, check this post on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-zRH44n0P7/
- Virtual Amity Zoom hangouts continue on Mondays at 7 pm, led by Andrea La Bella, Jess Chen and Hal Lange. Details: https://www.meetup.com/dashing-whippets/events/270717744/
- Weekly live yoga sessions with Leah Robbins are on Wednesdays at 6:10pm: https://www.meetup.com/dashing-whippets/events/270717738/
- Weekly live functional strength sessions with Coach Emmi are still on Fridays at 6:30 pm: https://www.meetup.com/dashing-whippets/events/270717740/
- Any aches or pains and unable to get in to your physical therapist or orthopedist? Coach Emmi is also offering virtual physical therapy sessions through Finish Line Physical Therapy. You can contact Emmi directly for more information.