This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Best wishes to everyone representing us at the Bronx Ten Mile Race this weekend! And for those whose marathon is in the next three weeks (Berlin, Wineglass, Chicago and others), we hope this well-deserved taper period goes smoothly. Good luck in your big race!
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 13 of an NYC Marathon training program, and week 8 of a late summer short race training plan 5K-half marathoners (9 weeks).
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 9/21: Easy day
- Fall marathoners should run 55-70 minutes easy, followed by 5 repeats of 100m strides
- Everyone else should run 35-60 minutes easy
- Monday Morning Mileage (Central Park) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Tuesday 9/22: Long speedwork day: Warm up 1.5-2 miles. Then…
- Fall marathoners: 7 miles at marathon pace, followed by 2 miles of easy jogging to cool down.
- Short distance (5K-half marathon) specialists (with a solid base of speedwork) and Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 3-4 hill sets, which are 15 minutes of running on a hilly course at a constant speed somewhere between marathon and half marathon pace. Jog 5:00 to partially recover between sets, and finish with a 1-1.5-mile cooldown.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Wednesday 9/23: Recovery day
- Marathoners should do 65-90 minutes of easy running, followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides, or rest
- Everyone else should do 25-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- Morning group run, Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Thursday, 9/24: Short speedwork day: Brief easy warmup, including jogging/drills/strides, then…
- All runners (marathoners, short distance specialists and runners who are building a base): 50-90 minutes of easy running. Stop at 50-60 minutes if you are racing this weekend or are building a base. Push to 80-90 minutes if are not racing and have a solid base. After the easy run, do 4 x 100m strides, but no other cooldown is required.
- Morning Manhattan group workout in Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Manhattan group workout in East River Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Friday 9/25: Very easy day
- Everyone should rest today, unless you have no racing plans this weekend and want to make up a workout you missed earlier in the week
Saturday and Sunday, 9/26-27:
- If you are racing the Bronx Ten Mile this weekend, rest or do a short easy run on Saturday, and good luck on Sunday!
- NYC Marathoners who aren’t racing: Do 2 miles to warm up, then 10 miles at estimated marathon pace, then 2 miles to cool down
- Non-marathoners who aren’t racing: Do 1:15–1:45 of running at easy or long run pace (45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace)
- There are weekly team long runs around the city. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Dashing Whippets NYC Marathon training plan (18 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/
- 9 week training program for longer late summer races (5K-half marathon): http://files.meetup.com/