This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 2 of NYC Marathon training program and summer short race training plan.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 7/06: Easy day
- Fall marathoners should run 40-55 minutes easy, followed by 4-5 repeats of 100m strides
- Everyone else should run 30-40 minutes easy
- Monday Morning Mileage (Central Park) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Tuesday 7/07: Long speedwork day:
- ALL runners: Warm up 1-1.5 easy miles, then do controlled uphill sprints: 2 sprints of 50 meters, then 1 sprint of 75 meters, and 1 sprint of 100 meters. Walk back after each. Stay relaxed, coordinated and in control while displaying good running form. Then…
- Fall marathoners and Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base of speedwork): 3 repeats of 2 miles at half marathon pace, with a 3:00 jogging recovery after each. Finish with 1.5-2 miles of easy jogging to cool down.
- Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 2 repeats of 2 miles at half marathon pace, with a 3:00 recovery between them. Finish with a 1-mile cooldown.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Wednesday 7/08: Recovery day
- Marathoners should do 30 minutes of easy running, followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides, or rest
- Everyone else should do 25-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- Morning group run, Central Park:
Thursday, 7/09: Short speedwork day: 15-minute warmup, including jogging/drills/strides, then…
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with solid base of speedwork) and Fall marathoners: Descending ladder: 2400m at 15K pace, 1600m at between 10K-15K pace, and 2x800m at 10K pace. Jog 400m after each repeat, and finish with 15 minutes of easy running to cool down.
- Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 3-4 repeats of 800m at 10 pace, with 400m jogging recovery after each. Finish with a 15-minute cooldown.
- Morning Manhattan group workout in Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Manhattan group workout in East River Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Friday 7/10: Very easy day
- Optionally, advanced marathoners may do 40 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides
- Everyone else should rest, or do the Monday or Wednesday workout today if you missed it
Saturday and Sunday, 7/11-12: On one day, do 40-55 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides. On the other day, do a long run…
- NYC Marathoners: 1:50-1:55 of running at long run pace
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base), and Runners who are building a base: 1:15-1:30 of running at easy or long run pace
- Long run pace is 45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace — a little faster than easy pace, but still not challenging.
- There are weekly team long runs around the city. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Dashing Whippets NYC Marathon training plan (18 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/
- Training plan for short summer races (weeks 7 onward, starting on page 2 of this file): http://files.meetup.com/