Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
– Matt and Simon
Check out our 2014 Annual Report here: http://files.meetup.com/
- The next points race for men (after the Brooklyn Half) is nearing capacity. To sign up for the NYRR Retro 4M, go here: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- The points races after that are the Mini 10k (for women only): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
events/2015/oakley-new-york- mini-10k and the Pride Run (coed points race):http://www.nyrr.org/races-and- events/2015/front-runners-new- york-lgbt-pride-run-5m
- The Bronx 10 miler is open and is a points race in September: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Also, keep your calendars open for Team Championships on August 1! This counts 10 runners for the open divisions and 5 for the masters divisions, so we need a great turnout for it!
- Our track meet is set for May 30th at the East River Park track. We will need volunteers for the meet. Please RSVP here if you would like to volunteer (http://www.meetup.com/
dashing-whippets/events/ 221036639/) and forward the following link to anyone that is interested running! http://trackmeet. dashingwhippets.org.
- Join us for the Brooklyn Half Marathon preview on May 2. RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
whippets/events/221407644/. We still need a driver to drive bags from Grand Army to Coney Island (just a driver if you don’t have a car since we can borrow one). Any volunteers?
- If you like beer, check out an event Sam Burlingame is throwing in Brooklyn. A few members of the team are brewing some beer and serving it this weekend. Info here: http://brewrundrink.
brownpapertickets.com/ and Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ events/689298634549656
- The NBR Track Meet is Friday. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- The Red Hook Crit is Saturday. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- If you’d like to run a one mile race for a great cause, check out the race Leonor is organizing on May 31! http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Results – Fill out this survey to submit any non-NYRR results: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- The Whippets had an amazing performance at the 2015 Boston Marathon. First, the open women placed fourth overall in the most elite marathon in the world!
- The women were led by Natalie Busby and Carolina Pena, who both ran under 3:00. Francesca Delucia was close behind with a 3:05:42. Chandler Rainey ran 3:11:32. Emi Matsuyama, Emily Raisch, Jennifer Marino-Gabrielli, Valerie Smith, and Leah Robbins all ran under 3:30 with Christine Peddy, Andrea Leshak, Maria Jonsdottir, Virna Di Palma, Caroline Dampier, Eileen Costa, Jen Herring, and Megan Barstow all running solid races as well. Jen Herring’s performance ranked third in the visually impaired division!
- Chris Dawes paced the men’s team with a new team masters record of 2:40:29. He was closely followed by Garrett Burger, Ning Zhou, and Josh Whitcraft, all of whom broke 2:50. Fred Hines, Taylor Hartstein, Tim Plakas, Xavi Giro, Andrew Hadro, and JP Desjardins all ran under 3:00, with Steve Wo, David Parkinson, Ab Brody, and Joe Delano breaking 3:10!
- The Dashing Whippets women won the NYRR More Women’s Half Marathon! Katie Edwards ran 1:33:45, Patricia Choux ran 1:36:22, Carol Stickler 1:38:24, Samantha Creath 1:39:15, and Atlee Murphy 1:39:34. Other solid performers included Jerlyn Thomas, Jen Hom, May Lai, and Kate Lee.
- 9 Takeaways From The 2015 Boston Marathon: http://www.letsrun.com/news/
2015/04/9-takeaways-from-the- 2015-boston-marathon-desi-and- ritz-lead-late-one-of-mebs- gutsiest-races-ever-teg- doesnt-like-the-marathon- americas-next-great-marathon- star/
- Lelisa Desisa Shows He’s The Boss At 2015 Boston Marathon After Ritz And Meb Make It Interesting: http://www.letsrun.com/news/
2015/04/lelisa-desisa-shows- hes-the-boss-at-2015-boston- marathon-after-ritz-and-meb- make-it-interesting/
- Caroline Rotich Outkicks Mare Dibaba To Pull Upset At 2015 Boston Marathon: http://www.letsrun.com/news/
2015/04/caroline-rotich- outkicks-mare-dibaba-to-pull- upset-at-2015-boston-marathon/
- A Marathoner Outruns a Childhood of Poverty: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/
04/19/sports/a-marathoner- outruns-a-childhood-of- poverty.html?hp&action=click& pgtype=Homepage&module=photo- spot-region®ion=top-news&WT. nav=top-news&_r=1
- Organizer Who Canceled Events Now Taking Entries for New Race: http://www.runnersworld.com/
races/organizer-who-canceled- events-now-taking-entries-for- new-race
Make sure to follow us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2015 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Generation UCan, Revolution in Motion, and Fitletic, Inc.