Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
– Matt and Simon
Note: We got a resupply of jackets in, so let me know if you want one. They are $110 and are a great jacket. They also convert into a vest so you can run in them in a wide range of temperatures.
- Our track meet is set for May 30th at the East River Park track. We fixed the registration link, which had been acting weird. We created a Facebook event and invited almost everyone we could think of, but please invite any friends you have that might be interested. Please forward the following link to anyone that is interested! http://trackmeet.
- We also have a permit for Astoria Park on 8/15 and plan to hold our first road race. It’s still in the planning stages, but it will most likely be a 5k. Stay tuned for information on that!
- I was just looking at the Washington Heights 5k open women’s results and just wanted to share the following:
• Our open women would have been 19th in the open men’s division, right behind PPTC.
• Our second five women would have been 6th in the open women’s field – ahead of NBR.
• Our third five women would have been 11th – right behind the Harriers.
Just further proof that our team is improving a ton!
- The second points race is coming up next weekend, so let’s keep the momentum going! Here’s the link to the post race party: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Also, keep in mind that besides the NYRR club points races, we also plan on sending open and masters teams to the USATF Club Cross Country Championships again this year. These will be in San Francisco on December 12. We sent an open and masters men’s team and an open women’s team to the race last year and had a great time. We aren’t making a huge push for it quite yet, but will want to start gauging interest, so let me or Chris Forti know if you are interested. Here’s info on this year’s race: http://www.usatf.org/Events—
- We also think that the USATF Club Track and Field Championships will be in New York City in July (they were on the west coast last year). One thing to note is that they will take people in the 10,000 that qualify on the road, so the Scotland Run might be a good opportunity to qualify if you are interested (I checked and the course seems to be USATF certified). You can also use our team track meet as a qualifying time for events 800 meters and above since it will be USATF sanctioned. Here are the qualifying standards: http://www.usatf.org/Events—
Calendar/2014/USATF-National- Club-Track—Field- Championships/Qualifying- Standards.aspx
Results – Fill out this survey to submit any non-NYRR results: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- A team of Dashing Whippets won the mixed (coed) division of the Palmetto 70 Relay last weekend. The team included Geraldine Yang, Scott Batten, Sriram Narayan, Megan Jones, Sarah McIntosh and Marvin Yang. They completed the 63-mile course in just under 8 hours, for an average pace of about 7:30/mile. In addition to winning their division, they were second overall.
- A repost of a great article by local runner David Alm: An Elite State of Mind: http://m.runnersworld.com/
race-training/elite-state- mind?cid=socTP_20150324_ 42573686&adbid= 10153185135632090&adbpl=fb& adbpr=23403427089
- Cross Country for Grown-Ups: http://m.runnersworld.com/
masters-racing/cross-country- grown-ups?cid=social42630716& adbid=10153186070767090&adbpl= fb&adbpr=23403427089
- The World Cross Country Conundrum: http://m.runnersworld.com/
races/the-world-cross-country- conundrum?cid=social42601506& adbid=10153185551792090&adbpl= fb&adbpr=23403427089
- Workout Of The Week: Know Your Tempo: http://running.competitor.com/
Make sure to follow us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2015 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Generation UCan, Revolution in Motion, and Fitletic, Inc.