Our Tradition of Community Service and Philanthropy
A key hallmark of the Dashing Whippets Running Team is our shared commitment to community service and philanthropy. Please see “Charity Partners” elsewhere on our site for more details.
Many of our members work with charities on their own, and many run to raise money for these non-profit endeavors. As a club, we frequently make significant commitments to national and international charitable efforts.
- We raised $1,245 in June 2013 at our annual Cheer-Raising for Back on My Feet, a charity that uses running to help homeless persons change the way they see themselves, so they can find employment and live independently.
- We assisted Philippine Typhoon Haiyan disaster relief by raising $2,718 in the Run for the Philippines.
- We raised $1,775 for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, in a tribute to our teammate and friend Rob Petrocelli.
- In September 2013, we competed as a team in the River View Run, organized by our teammate Jennie Kelly and her family. The River View Run raises funds to support the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research. The race raised $30,000.
- In December, we competed in the NYRR’s annual sneaker drive to benefit NYRR’s youth programs. We out-raised all other teams with our combined contributions of $3,235. This gift allowed the NYRR to purchase 65 pairs of fast, new running shoes for its young runners.
The DWRT Charitable Matching Program
If you are running a race and raising money for a charity, the Dashing Whippets Running Team will match your contribution to your charity up to $50 per year. Details on the program are here.
We congratulate you on running to make a difference in the lives of others. The team is pleased to support your efforts.