This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 4 of training plans for the Boston and New Jersey marathons, and week 3 of training plans for spring 5K/10K races and the NYC Half.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use various online race pace calculators to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 1/15: Easy day
- Spring marathoners and half marathoners should run 35-55 minutes easy (advanced marathoners should add 3-5 x 100m strides after)
- Everyone else should run 30-45 minutes easy, or optionally rest
- Monday Evening Downtown group run at 7pm: RSVP here
Tuesday 1/16: Long speedwork day: Warm up 1.5-2 miles. Then…
- All runners (Boston marathoners, New Jersey marathoners, NYC Half specialists, Short-distance (5K-15K) specialists with a solid base, and Runners who are building a base: After warming up, do 2-3 repeats of 2 miles at half marathon pace, with 3:00 easy jog between them. Finish with 1-2 easy miles of jogging to cool down.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: RSVP here
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: RSVP here
Wednesday 1/17: Recovery day
- Everyone should do 20-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training, or optionally rest
- Wednesday morning run in Central Park: https://www.meetup.com/
- Wednesday evening run in Brooklyn: RSVP here
Thursday, 1/18: Short speedwork day: 20-minute warmup, including jogging/drills/strides, then…
- Short-distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base), Boston marathoners and Advanced New Jersey marathoners, and NYC Half specialists (with a solid base): 5-8 repeats of 800m at 5K pace, with 2:30 of jogging between them. Finish with 15+ easy minutes of jogging to cool down.
- Intermediate New Jersey marathoners and Runners who are building a base: Do a total of 60-65 minutes of easy running (including warm-up), with strides & drills
- Lower Manhattan group workout at 7pm (East Side Esplanade): RSVP here
- Brooklyn group workout at 7pm (Prospect Park): RSVP here
- Upper Manhattan group workout at 7pm (Central Park): RSVP here
Friday 1/19: Very easy day
- Most runners should rest, or do the Monday or Wednesday workout today if you missed it
- Optionally, advanced marathoners and half marathoners may run easy for up to 40 minutes, or do aerobic cross-training today
Saturday and Sunday, 1/20-21: On one day, do 35-55 minutes of easy running followed by 3-4 repeats of 100m strides. On the other day, do a long run…
- Boston marathoners, New Jersey marathoners, and NYC Half specialists: Recommended: Run NYRR Fred Lebow Half Marathon (if you signed up in time), with a generous warmup and cooldown. Alternate workout: 13-15 miles total, starting and ending easy, but do the middle 8-9 miles at marathon pace.
- Short-distance specialists with a solid base: 1:30-1:40 of running at 45-60 seconds/mile slower than marathon pace
- Runners who are building a base: 1:00-1:30 of running at very easy pace
- There are weekend team long runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
NEXT Monday 1/22: Easy day
- Same workout as most Mondays: Run 30-55 minutes easy, or optionally rest
- Boston Marathon plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- New Jersey Marathon plan (advanced): http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- New Jersey Marathon plan (intermediate): http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- NYC Half training plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-
- Winter 5K/10K training plan: http://dwrt.wpengine.com/wp-