This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Schedule note: There are usually no organized Dashing Whippets workouts on Thanksgiving. Check the Dashing Whippets meetup calendar closer to that date to see the status of workouts.
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 6 of a combined training plan for runners who targeting the Ted Corbitt 15K or fall cross-country races, and a recovery period for recent marathoners.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 11/21: Easy day
- Anyone who ran a marathon in the last few days should take the entire week off, or at least rest through Thursday
- Everyone else should run 30-50 minutes easy, or optionally rest
- Monday Evening Downtown group run: RSVP
Tuesday 11/22: Long speedwork day: Warm up 1.5-2 miles. Then…
- Corbitt 15K and Fall Cross Country runners with a solid base (frequent speedwork in the past few months): 40-50 minute progression run: This is a continuous run that starts 60 seconds/mile slower than marathon pace. Then every 10 minutes, speed up around 20-30 seconds/mile. At the end, add 1-2 easy miles to cool down.
- Recent marathoners including NYC (last 2-4 weeks) and Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork, or coming back after time off): 2 miles at marathon pace, then 1 mile at half marathon pace, then 1 easy mile to cool down.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: RSVP
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: RSVP
Wednesday 11/23: Recovery day
- Recent marathoners should rest
- Everyone else should do 25-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- Wednesday morning run in Central Park: Check the Dashing Whippets meetup calendar for details
- All runners: Find a fun race and jump in, or do 4-6 miles of easy running, or just take the day off and run on Friday instead
- Lower Manhattan group workout is CANCELLED
- For other workouts, check the Dashing Whippets meetup calendar closer to Thursday
Friday 11/25: Very easy day
- All runners should rest, or do the Wednesday or Thursday’s workout today if you missed it
Saturday and Sunday, 11/26-27: On one day, do 40-55 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides. On the other day, do a long run…
- Runners targeting the Corbitt 15K and fall cross country races: 1:30-1:40 at long run pace, preferrably on an UNPAVED surface
- Recent marathoners (last 2-4 weeks) and Runners who are building a base: 1:00-1:20 of running at easy or long run pace
- Long run pace is 45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace — a little faster than easy pace, but still not challenging.
- There are weekend team long runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Training plan for Ted Corbitt 15K and Cross Country races (8 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/