Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2016 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Brooklyn Roasting Company, Strava, and Fitletic, Inc.
Thank you so much to everyone who volunteered (there are too many to name everyone) and all the participants of the track meet! Also, a special thanks to the meet sponsors, Runner Clinic NYC, Brooklyn Running Company, and Brooklyn Roasting Company.
Results of the meet can be found here: http://trackmeet.
- Our Brooklyn Half preview is tomorrow. Note that we are meeting at the start of the course and not the usual GAP location. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- The Retro 4M and the Pride Run 5M are nearing capacity. Make sure to register soon here: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
events/2016/nyrr-retro-4-miler and http://www.nyrr.org/races-and- events/2016/front-runners-new- york-lgbt-pride-run-5m
- Team Championships are now open for registration. This is the biggest and best race of the year, so make sure to sign up! Men: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
events/2016/nyrr-team- championships-men-5m Women: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and- events/2016/nyrr-team- championships-women-5m
- So is the Percy Sutton 5k, which is a points race this year: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- We are doing a volunteer water station for the Brooklyn Half. This will count for your plus-one and for a team spot to the 2017 marathon. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Team points races are listed here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- We are doing a team volunteering at the Corporate Challenge on June 1. Make sure to RSVP here. We are going to work out a deal at a local bar so we can have fun afterward! http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Thanks to Jennie and Chris for organizing the beer mile. Results can be found here: http://www.beermile.com/
display/event_6712 and here: http://www.beermile.com/ display/event_6713
- Make sure to join our team Strava page here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/
Results – thanks a ton to Martina, who is writing up the results! If you have any results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag, make sure to email her.
Make sure to help us fill out our results database by entering your non-NYRR results here:http://www.
- Our annual track meet took place last Saturday and we had some great performances for the following:
- Men’s 5000m: Fred Hines (16:53.5-8th OA); Lenny Shulgrin (16:57.6-10th OA); Eric Morley 17:21.0 (16th OA); Matt Wong (17:33.3-18th OA); Jordan Rose (17:36.0-19th OA); Jonathan Weiss (17:37.2-20th OA); Daniil Blinov (18:20.1-24th OA); David Goodwin (19:36.6-30th OA).
- Women’s 5000m: Brigette Kolson (18:42.2-2nd OA).
- Men’s 4x200m Relay: 2:10 (DWRT Master’s).
- Women’s 800m: Casey Phlegar (2:32-3rd OA); Jerlyn Thomas (2:52.7-6th OA).
- Men’s 400m: James Kelly (1:00.1-3rd OA); Bobby Judge (1:00.7-4th OA).
- Men’s Distance Medley Relay (1200-400-800-1600): 11:28.9 – 1st OA.
- Women’s 4x400m Relay: 4:33.9 -1st OA.
- Coed’s 4x400m Relay: Dashing Whippets A (4:28.4-3rd OA); Dashing Whippets B (4:30.9-4thOA).
- Men’s Mile: MacLean O’Donnell (4:27.7-1st OA and RRCA New York State Championship mile winner); Olivier Witjenberg (4:34.7-3rd OA); Joe Delano (5:21.5-13th OA); James Kelly (5:24.9-16th OA); Danill Blinov (5:30.4-17th OA); Brian Donaghy (5:34.0-19th OA); William Griffith (5:34.8-20th OA); Dennis Ryan (5:52.9-23rd OA).
- Women’s Mile: Megan Lessard (5:27.1-2nd OA); Caitleen Kahn (5:29.3-5th OA); Brigette Kolson (5:44.5-6th OA); Jesse Baldwin-Philippi (5:59.9-8th OA); Jerlyn Thomas (6:19.9-12thOA).
- At the Red Hook Criterium 5K, Jenny Cohen placed 2nd for the women, finishing in 17:59.3! She was followed by Franny Vignola (20:45.6) and Daniela Alvarado (22:30.3). Troy Squire (17:10.4) was our first man and he was followed by Ning Zhou (17:25.6); Ryan Hepworth(17:27); Joe Delano (18:39.6) and David Goodwin (19:32).
- We had some outstanding performances at the 2016 New Jersey Marathon! Mark Degenhart placed 6th OA and 2nd in his AG, finishing in 2:43:28. Daniel Peng (2:52:30) finished 4th in his AG. Jonathan Kline ran a 2:53:59, placing 1st in his AG. Our DWRT co-founder Rich Hsie (3:07:52) qualified for Boston 2017 and Perry Anderson ran a 25-minute PR of 3:22:23! Andrea Napoliello ran her first full marathon in 4:44:35! Heather Weneck PRd in the half, finishing in 1:54:00.
- It was a great day at the Philadelphia Broad Street Run. Andrew Hadro and Terrence McGovern finished one second apart, crossing the finish line in 0:59:33 and 0:59:34! Brian McGovern followed right after, finishing in 1:00:01. Courtney Reidy represented us for the women, finishing in 1:10:18.
- Phil Young ran a PR and a BQ at the Cox Sports Providence Marathon, finishing in 3:03:11!
- At the Inaugural Queens Marathon, Cara Rabin ran a 10 minute-PR and was the 3rd woman OA, finishing in 3:19:30! Jeremy Cahill PRd as well, finishing in 3:36:06. Tovy Vu finished in 4:08:37.
- At the North Face Endurance Challenge New York, Kristen Levy ran the 10K trail race, finishing in 57:05 and placing 2nd in her AG and 10th for the women.
- At the Rock the Ridge 50-Mile endurance challenge, Roman Matuska finshed in 9:49:50.
- How Neuroscientists Explain the Mind-Clearing Magic of Running: http://nymag.com/scienceofus/
2016/04/how-neuroscientists- explain-the-mind-clearing- magic-of-running.html
- Better Aging Through Practice, Practice, Practice: http://mobile.nytimes.com/
2016/05/01/opinion/better- aging-through-practice- practice-practice.html?smprod= nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore- iphone-share&referer=
- Brooklyn Half (full): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Retro 4M (nearing capacity): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Pride Run (nearing capacity): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Men’s Team Champs: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Women’s Team Champs: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Percy Sutton 5k: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Bronx 10M: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Staten Island Half: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- NYC Marathon: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/
plan-your-race/run-in-2016? utm_source=nyrrorg&utm_banner& utm_campaign=nymapply16 (full)
For a limited time, we are reducing the price of our singlets and long sleeved shirts from $25 to $20. Jackets are still $110. While supplies last, you can get a “2015” short sleeved shirt for free with a purchase. Apparel will be available at Custom PT at the seminar tonight!
See info below:
- Singlets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Retro short sleeved t-shirt: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Long Sleeved Shirts: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Jackets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn Half Marathon: http://files.meetup.com/
- Post-Brooklyn Half Plan coming soon!