Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2016 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Brooklyn Roasting Company, and Fitletic, Inc.
- NYRR has opened up three of its next points races, the Scotland Run 10k (http://www.nyrr.org/races-
and-events/2016/scotland-run- 10k), the Retro 4M(http://www.nyrr.org/races- and-events/2016/nyrr-retro-4- miler), which is a points race for men and women this year, and the Pride Run 5M (http://www.nyrr.org/races- and-events/2016/front-runners- new-york-lgbt-pride-run-5m).
- Please note that the Mini 10k is NOT a points race for women this year.
- Registration for the 2016 NYC Marathon is now open and closes on February 21. More info here: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/
plan-your-race/run-in-2016? utm_source=nyrrorg&utm_slider= feature&utm_campaign= nymapply16
- Team points races are listed here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Club Night is next Thursday. Our open and masters women as well as Chris Dawes, Hugh Parker, Kim Martineau, and Jon Kline will all receive awards at the party. Purchase tickets here to celebrate with them! http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- We are fielding a volunteer water station at the NYC Half. This will count as a +1 for the NYC Marathon in 2017 and the team will get 1 marathon spot for every 20 volunteers we get: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
whippets/events/227253882/. You can have friends come with you who will count toward our total number. Just have them sign up on myNYRR
Results – thanks a ton to Martina, who will be writing up the results going forward! If you have any results and would like to be featured on our Weekly Wag, make sure to email her.
Make sure to help us fill out our results database by entering your non-NYRR results here: http://www.dashingwhippets.
This past weekend, the Dashing Whippets dropped hammers both on the East Coasts and on the West Coast!
- At the PPTC Cherry Tree 10 Miler & Relay, on a record-breaking cold morning, Alex Noble, Rosario Forlenza, and Kim Velsey ran the relay in 1:04:07. Troy Squire (59:37), Kim Martineau (1:10:06) and Edie Perkins (1:15:40) all placed first in their age group. We also had some amazing performances from: Zachary Shtogren (1:05:09); Ethan Rouen (1:08:40); Joseph Brady (1:11:15); Virna Di Palma (1:18:18); William Newland (1:20:41); Beatrice Giurlani (1:27:26) and Molly McEwan (1:32:48).
- Temperatures were quite different at the Los Angeles Marathon where, on a hot sunny day, Sky Canaves ran her come-back marathon in 3:12:12, a PR that placed her 4th in her AG. Bethany Lesko ran a strong race as well, finishing in 3:22:18.
- At the Sedona Marathon 2016, Richard Hsieh ran the half marathon in 1:39:15, placing 5th in his AG, while Heather Weneck placed 2nd in her AG running the 10K in 54:04.
- The Runner (interesting article from 2001): http://www.newyorker.com/
- Shalane Flanagan on Dehydration, Delirium, and Drama at the Olympic Trials: http://www.runnersworld.com/
olympic-trials/shalane- flanagan-on-dehydration- delirium-and-drama-at-the- olympic-trials?cid=OB-_-RW-_- CHRR
- Use Your Foam Roller the Right Way: http://www.runnersworld.com/
injury-prevention-recovery/ use-your-foam-roller-the- right-way?cid=OB-_-RW-_-CHRR
- Watch: Meb Takes Rupp to Task, and the Moment Turns Awkward: http://www.runnersworld.com/
olympic-trials/watch-meb- takes-rupp-to-task-and-the- moment-turns-awkward
- Washington Heights 5k (nearing capacity): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
events/2016/nyrr-washington- heights-salsa-blues-and- shamrocks-5k
- Scotland Run: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Brooklyn Half (full): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Retro 4M: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Pride Run: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- NYC Marathon: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/
plan-your-race/run-in-2016? utm_source=nyrrorg&utm_banner& utm_campaign=nymapply16
For a limited time, we are reducing the price of our singlets and long sleeved shirts from $25 to $20. Jackets are still $110. While supplies last, you can get a “2015” short sleeved shirt for free with a purchase. Apparel will be available at Custom PT at the seminar tonight!
See info below:
- Singlets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Long Sleeved Shirts: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Jackets: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Washington Heights 5k: http://files.meetup.com/
- NYC Half: http://files.meetup.com/
- Boston Marathon: http://files.meetup.com/
- NJ Marathon: http://files.meetup.com/