This weekly message keeps active members informed of the Dashing Whippets training activities for the next seven days.
Dashing Whippets Training Plan for the Week
This is week 4 of NYC Marathon training program and summer short race training plan.
Please click on the links below to RSVP if you are planning to come out to one of these training events!
Note: Almost all training paces, such as 5K, 10K, half marathon, should be your estimated pace if you ran the race today — not your goal or PR pace. (Exception: Marathon pace is your goal pace or best guess of your well-trained marathon speed.) You can use the Daniels VDOT calculator to estimate your pace from a recent result.
Monday 7/20: Easy day
- Fall marathoners should run 40-55 minutes easy, followed by 5 repeats of 100m strides
- Everyone else should run 30-40 minutes easy
- Monday Morning Mileage (Central Park) option: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Tuesday 7/21: Long speedwork day:
- ALL runners: Warm up 1-1.5 easy miles, then do controlled uphill sprints: 2 sprints of 75 meters, then 2 sprints of 100 meters. Walk back. Stay relaxed, coordinated and in control while displaying good running form. Then…
- Fall marathoners: 45-50 minutes at marathon pace, followed by 2 miles of easy running to cool down.
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base of speedwork): 4-6 mile Lactate Alternation Run. A Lactate Alternation Run is a continuous run alternating every half mile between half marathon pace and 20-30 seconds/mile slower than half marathon pace, with no rest between pace changes. Finish with 1.5 to 2 miles of easy jogging to cool down.
- Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 3 mile Lactate Alternation Run, as described above, and add a 1.5-2 mile cooldown jog.
- Manhattan group workout in Central Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Wednesday 7/22: Recovery day
- Marathoners should do 40-55 minutes of easy running, followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides, or rest
- Everyone else should do 25-40 minutes of easy running or aerobic system cross training
- Morning group run, Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Thursday, 7/23: Short speedwork day: 15-minute warmup, including jogging/drills/strides, then…
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with solid base of speedwork) and fall marathoners: 6-8 repeats of 800m at 10K pace, with 200m recovery jog after each. Finish with 15 minutes of easy jogging to cool down.
- Runners who are building a base (not much recent speedwork): 3-4 repeats of 800m at 15K pace with 200m recovery, and finish with a 15-minute cooldown jog.
- Morning Manhattan group workout in Central Park: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Manhattan group workout in East River Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Evening Brooklyn group workout in Prospect Park at 7pm: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Friday 7/24: Very easy day
- Optionally, advanced marathoners may do 45-50 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides
- Everyone else should rest, or do the Monday or Wednesday workout today if you missed it
Saturday and Sunday, 7/25-26: On one day, do 40-55 minutes of easy running followed by 4 repeats of 100m strides. On the other day, do a long run…
- NYC Marathoners: 2:10 of running at long run pace
- Short distance (5K-15K) specialists (with a solid base), and runners who are building a base: 1:15-1:30 of running at long run pace
- Long run pace is 45-60 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace — a little faster than easy pace, but still not challenging.
- There are weekly team long runs around the city. To see all options for weekend training runs with the Whippets, please view the calendar: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Dashing Whippets NYC Marathon training plan (18 weeks): http://files.meetup.com/
- Training plan for short summer races (week 7 onward, starting on page 2 of this file): http://files.meetup.com/
- Starting August 3, 6 week training program for the Fifth Avenue Mile: http://files.meetup.com/
- Starting August 3, 9 week training program for longer late summer races: (details to come)