Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
– Matt and Simon
Note: We now have our singlets at Russ’s office. Please see here for information and make sure to RSVP and pay for the singlet before picking up so Russ won’t have to deal with cash! http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- Our next big event is the Dashing Whippets Track Meet on May 30. Register here and spread the word! http://trackmeet.
- We also have opened our inaugural road race up for registration. It will be a 5k on August 15 at Astoria Park: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- Leonor’s one mile race in Queens is the day after our track meet. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- We need a few more volunteers for the Corporate Challenge water station. RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- We will have a beer mile on June 18 at the East River Track. RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- And our anniversary run is on June 19. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
The following team points races are now open for registration:
- Team Championships (men): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Team Championships (women): http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Fifth Avenue Mile: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- Bronx 10 miler: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
Results – Fill out this survey to submit any non-NYRR results: http://www.dashingwhippets.
- DWRT came in fourth place in both the open men’s and women’s divisions and also stayed in first place overall in the women’s masters and men’s 50+ divisions. The men were led by Hugh Parker, who ran an outstanding 2 minute PR with a 1:12:24. Other great performances, included Skyler Mosenthal, Chris Dawes, Matt Boughton, and Jordan Rose, who led 9 men to under 1:20. 9 other men ran under 1:23.
- Henrietta Aitken also had a huge PR, running 1:24:54. Jennie Cohen was right behind in 1:25:47. Jesse Baldwin-Philippi and Laura Huselton ran under 1:28 and 5 other women ran under 1:30.
An update on team standings:
- Open men: We moved up into a tie with Warren Street for 4th place (18 points). We are ahead of VCTC (13), NBR (12), and the Harriers (11)
- Open women: We are still in third place with 28 points. We are ahead of Greater NY (20), VCTC (15), NBR (15), and Henwood Hounds (12)
- Masters men: We moved up one spot to 6th place with 16 points. We are 1 point behind NYAC and 5 behind Urban Athletics and just ahead of VCTC (14), NBR (12) and GNY (11)
- Masters women: We are still in first place! CPTC did make up 2 points on us though and are now only 4 points behind. GNY is in third with 21 points
- 50+ men: We are still in first place here too! However, WSX did make up a few points and is only 1 point behind. Brooklyn RRC is 7 points back with 28 points.
- Workout of the Week: Dylan Bowman’s Lactate Threshold Repeats: http://running.competitor.com/
2015/05/training/workout-of- the-week-dylan-bowmans- lactate-threshold-repeats_ 128453#ABwITFYJCxIDAx2U.99
- In 2014, A Record Number of Marathon Finishers: http://www.runnersworld.com/
general-interest/in-2014-a- record-number-of-marathon- finishers
- Do Race Lotteries Violate the Law?: http://www.runnersworld.com/
- Why Runners Should Learn CPR: http://www.runnersworld.com/
- AFI Overall Rankings of America’s Fittest Cities: http://americanfitnessindex.
Make sure to follow us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2015 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Generation UCan, Revolution in Motion, and Fitletic, Inc.