Welcome to this week’s edition of our weekly news and events roundup of all things Whippet-related.
– Matt and Simon
- The Scotland Run 10k on April 4 is nearing capacity. This is the second points race of the year, so sign up soon! http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
- The More Women’s Half is not a points race, but is nearing capacity. Here’s info: http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-
events/2015/more- magazinefitness-magazine- womens-half-marathon
- There is a post-Tuesday workout social event this week. Info here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- If you’re racing the NYC Half next weekend, RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
- If you’re doing the Boston Marathon or just going up to watch, RSVP here:http://www.meetup.com/dashing-
Results – Fill out this survey to submit any non-NYRR results: http://www.dashingwhippets.
DWRT had it’s best points race results in our history at the Washington Heights 5k. Our women’s masters team and our men’s 50+ teams won their divisions and start the year out in first place! Our women’s open team had it’s best ever showing in a points race with a third place finish. The open and masters men were each 7th place.
The women were led by Carolina Pena, who ran a 19:11 and placed second in her age group. She was closely followed by a pack of Laura Huselton (19:37), Francesca DeLucia (19:44), Lucy Clark (19:45), Emmi Aguillard (19:47), and Kim Martineau (19:53). Also running impressive times were Meghan Gutekunst (20:20), Katie Edwards (20:26), Hannah Ursillo (20:28), Courtney Reidy (20:43), and Caroline Dampier (20:57). Jerlyn Thomas and Eileen Costa both ran PRs in 22:46 and 23:04.
Ned Cunningham and Fred Hines paced the men’s team in 16:09 and 16:59 with the top five rounded out by David Roeske, Jonathan Kline (first in his age group), and Matthew Wong. Also breaking 6:00 per mile were Terrence McGovern, Eric Morley, Ryan Hepworth, Garett Burger, Chris Martalus, Ethan Rouen, and Chris Dawes. Frank Drury ran a great race, placing 9th in his age group.
At the Frozen Penguin Half Marathon, Andrew Hadro came in third place in 1:24:37 in a slightly long course. Ab Brody ran 1:30:35, Paul Warthen 1:35:44, Rich Hsieh 1:36:59, Val Smith won her age group in 1:37:34, Lisa Hubner 1:55:57, and Heather Weneck in 2:07:49.
- The Case for High-Intensity Training for Older Runners: http://running.competitor.com/
2015/03/training/case-high- intensity-training-older- runners_124145# cf51GTJ36PLBGpjp.99
- Snow Unlikely to Affect Boston Marathon, but B.A.A. Is Prepared: http://www.runnersworld.com/
boston-marathon/snow-unlikely- to-affect-boston-marathon-but- baa-is-prepared
- Mary Cain Is Growing Up Fast: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/
Make sure to follow us on social media:
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/
The Dashing Whippets Running Team thanks our 2015 Team Sponsors for their generous support of the club: RunnerClinicNYC, Generation UCan, Revolution in Motion, and Fitletic, Inc.